6. How do I sell / license my copyright? What is Creative Commons?


As the copyright owner in your work, you can sell or license it to others, which could be done through a contractual agreement.

Some creators choose to join a collecting society, who then licenses and collects royalties on their behalf; these include:

Authors’ Licensing & Collecting Society (ALCS)Artists’ Collecting Society (ACS)Broadcasting Data Services (BDS)British Equity Collecting Society (BECS)Christian Copyright Licensing International United KingdomChristian Video Licensing International United KingdomCopyright Licensing Agency (CLA)Design and Artists Copyright Society (DACS)Directors UK (D-UK)Educational Recording Agency (ERA)Motion Picture Licensing Company (MPLC)Newspaper Licensing Agency (NLA)Open University Worldwide (OUW)PRS for MusicPhonographic Performance Limited (PPL)Publishers Licensing Society (PLS)

Alternatively, you can visit the Copyright Hub website which sets out information on how to get permission to use somebody else’s work, or how copyright relates to your own work.

Another option is Creative Commons (CC), which are licences that explicitly encourage the free re-use of work. By distributing your work under a Creative Commons licence, you will allow the public to re-use it for free. This should help the dissemination of your work and more generally the spread of knowledge and creativity. For example, on the Copyright User website, we chose to release all content under the most flexible CC licence: Attribution 3.0 (CC BY). This means that all the materials you find on this website (videos, illustrations, texts, etc.) can be re-used on the condition that the authors of this website are acknowledged (credited). You can find more information about how to license your work here, and about the Creative Commons licences here.

See: Sections 116 – 144A Copyright Designs and Patents Act 1988http://creativecommons.org/


Going for a Song

Going for a Song tells the story of Tina and Ben, a music composer and a lyricist who create an original song and discuss how to market it.

Licensing & Exploiting

If you own the copyright in a work, you are free to exploit it on your own or license the use of it to another party (such as a book publisher). ‘Exploit’ in this context means to develop or make use of it.

Creative Commons

Works distributed under a Creative Commons licence are different from other copyrighted works, but they still attract copyright. The benefit of Creative Commons licensing is…